Looking Into 2012

This post has been a hard one for me. I wrote my goals post. Then came back and completely redid it. Then came back and deleted it. It started out as a general goals post then went to a I don't want to make any resolutions post. But then I reminded myself I need to have a writing plan. My ultimate goal is to make a steady income off my writing (the sooner the better). To accomplish this goal I need to be releasing so many titles each year. I don't have a magic number of titles to release, but I know the more the better. Yet, I am also planning on submitting a few titles to NY for consideration.

I began to make a list of possible titles to write. A few sequel books to titles already released as well as some which factor into the different genres of my pen names. I'm not going to write down exactly what I did in my notes as I already know the titles are subject to change based on sales, contractual obligations, and any shiny new ideas I might get.

But as I was staring at my list I began to get very intimidated. I had made the list based on word count. How many new words should I be able to produce writing full time with breaks for editing and publishing? The number of books surprised me, but when I did the math it is something totally doable.

I should be able to write five novels and three novellas. This number came from dividing between my two pen names and the genres within the pen names. Now I could change it around to more novellas and less novels if I feel that is what is needed, but the 5 novels/3 novellas is my initial list for my business plan to steadily bump up my monthly royalties as well as having a book or two to submit to NY this year.

How do you calculate your goals for the year? If you're a writer, do you use math to figure out how much you should be able to produce in the year?

Comments

  1. You can do it! I'm in the middle of this process myself - only with illustrations for my portfolio. I look at what my portfolio needs, the average time each illustration takes, divide it up into deadlines, get to work and hope for the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Kristen. Sounds like we are using the same method to figure it out even with the different mediums.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Strings Attached Giveaway Hop - April 17 - April 22

Books to Movies Giveaway Hop

Horse Charmer on Sale For Only $.99