What's In A Name

Southern Belle and Me.
A reader recently pointed out that I tend to include the names of my pets in my books. Obviously a reader who knows me personally to make the observation, but it made me think. Do I?

Horse Charmer - Kali isn't a name of a pet, but she was inspired by my horse Kristy. I also had a pony named Cassie as a kid which is pretty close to Cassia. There also was in a previous draft long ago a character named Bear - we had a horse named Bear when I was a kid. Bear might reappear in a sequel.
The Beast's Redemption - Belle is actually the original name of Beauty in Beauty and the Beast so I didn't consciously choose to name her after a pet, but I can't deny that I did have a horse named Southern Belle (picture on the left). 
Spectors (upcoming space opera) - Yeah, my heroine is named after my horse Kristy and it was on purpose. :-)
Whitelighter (upcoming steamy paranormal) - Nope, not a single name, but it did original have a horse in it before I had to edit her out due to plausibility issues.
Unicorn Keep (upcoming young adult fantasy) - I did name her pony after one of my ponies, Ginger.

Sometimes names come to me and other times I do a lot of research and searching to find just the right name. What about you? Any recurring themes or names popping up in your manuscripts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Strings Attached Giveaway Hop - April 17 - April 22

Books to Movies Giveaway Hop

Horse Charmer on Sale For Only $.99