More Lessons From Tangled


As I mentioned in my previous Lessons From post, you can learn a lot about good storytelling from Tangled. I could go on and on about the various things the story does right, but I decided to focus on two items. Last time I talked about emotionally abusive and manipulative relationships. This time I want to to mention creating a character the audience can identify with.


One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the "Best Day Ever" scene where Rapunzel goes back and forth on leaving her tower. Who else thinks they accurately depict what goes on in our own minds whenever we make a big decision? In watching this scene, it got me to thinking, have I ever seen or read a scene truly depicting the back and forth that so many people do go through. I don't think so. You occasionally see a scene where a character might mull over whether it was the right decision, but the back and forth is a new one. And oh so true to human existence. I've been doing my own brand of back and forthing all spring and summer on various major decisions in my writing career and in my personal life. It's been a very interesting time. Tangled's "Best Day Ever" scene accurately expresses my own rolling emotions.

Do you have scenes where your readers can connect to your heroes? 

Comments

  1. I have not seen Tangled...but your post reminded me of one of the beginning scenes in Finding Nemo, where the father peeks out of the anemone, then back in...then out, and back in...telling Nemo he can do it four times if he wants. :)

    My daughter is begging me to see it. Will have to check that scene out when I do! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Miranda, you have to see it. I think it is one of the best Disney animated films ever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Strings Attached Giveaway Hop - April 17 - April 22

Books to Movies Giveaway Hop

Horse Charmer on Sale For Only $.99